IT Service Lead, High Performance Computing
Are you looking for a new opportunity in the field of IT in an organisation that strongly supports professional growth? Would you like to use your expertise to drive a sustainable future while working in an inspiring community at the cutting edge of science and technology? Are you an IT professional who gets excited about diverse tasks and operational development? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading research organisations in Europe. What unites us at VTT are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World.
We are now looking for an IT Service Lead, High Performance Computing -role in our Research IT Services team.
In this position, you will take care of the operation of the high performance computing service including capacity for technical analyses, calculations, modelling and simulations of different scientific phenomena. You will participate in the planning and implementing a development roadmap by collecting needs and requirements from users and experts. You will steer, guide and coordinate a virtual team consisting of both internal and external experts. In addition, you will act as the contact person for the service.
You will work in Business Technology unit as part of the Research IT Services team, which is responsible for supporting research with IT tools and expertise. Business Technology unit is organized in matrix and in daily work you are expected to work with Business Technology personnel, IT providers, as well as our scientists.
In this role, you will be:
· Acting as the contact person for the service and take care of the operation of the service
· Preparing a top-level plan for the technological development of the HPC environment
· Negotiating the budgetary needs
· Monitoring and reporting the usage of the HPC capacity
· Monitoring the development and use of the external HPC services
· Updating the development roadmap according to usage statistics, needs and requirements
· Guiding and coordinating the work of both internal and external HPC related experts
Who we are looking for:
· Minimum 3 years of experience in an IT service management role or equivalent with a suitable university or university of applied sciences degree
· Capability to see the big picture and dependencies
· A self-initiative approach to developing your own service package
· Customer and solution oriented thinking
· Experience in collecting needs and requirements from users
· Capability to communicate and to produce documentation and instructions in Finnish and English
In addition, we consider the experience / understanding of HPC as well as the experience of cooperation with service providers to be an advantage.
As a person, we hope you are:
· You are spontaneous and systematical in the way you work. You approach problem situations analytically in a solution-oriented and user-oriented manner. You are excited to learn and to figure out new things. In the position, you work closely with different stakeholders, so you have good cooperation and communication skills.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
· Work with a strong purpose. At VTT, you’ll get to use your professional expertise to help solve the greatest challenges of our time through science and innovation. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating solving systemic and technological challenges, such as reaching carbon neutrality and creating superior digital systems. At VTT, you’ll get to do your part in driving this meaningful change through your own professional skills. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
· An inspiring community. VTT houses all the cutting-edge fields of innovation from quantum technology to synthetic biology under one roof. As a professional at VTT, you’ll get to witness and influence the future of science and technology as it happens.
· Career and learning opportunities. As a scientific expert organisation, we put a lot of emphasis on learning and development, and support our people in reaching their full potential. People tend to stay at VTT for more than 10 years, as we offer opportunities to develop and grow into new responsibilities. If you’re curious, ambitious and willing to learn, VTT is the place to take your career to the next level.
· Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 7.8.2022. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Seppo Salminen, Manager, Information Technology, email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Apply between 21.6 2022 and 7.8.2022 23:59 (Europe/Helsinki)
Employment type: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Espoo preferred, Oulu and Tampere negotiable
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Please see our other open positions and read more about us from our career pages.