Join our student talent pool!
Do you want to start changing the world for the better? Are you all about science and technology or passionate about business and people? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? If you answered yes, we warmly welcome you to our student talent pool! We check applications as we open new positions for students and talents at the beginning of their careers.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2200 brilliant minds from 55 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's tech & infra.
We're excited to explore opportunities together!
As we get a lot of students interested in working with us, we unfortunately can't review and respond to all applicants. If we spot a potential opportunity for you, we will reach out to you to continue the discussion.
Our previous trainees have described their experiences at VTT with the feedback below:
”I’ve been involved to versatile different projects and to different level of work tasks.”
”It was an eye opening experience to be part of various research projects.”
Submit an open application for our student opportunities, and make an impact for a brighter future!
Opportunities for students:
Dozens of students in various fields work at VTT each year as fixed-term trainees or thesis workers. The traineeships and employment relationships vary in length from a few months to one year. We also announce specific traineeship positions on our Open positions listing.
As a thesis worker, you will be writing your student thesis as part of a VTT project. You will have an important role in contributing to the success of the project. If you are nearing the end of your studies, this may be your chance to get a foot in the door in a research project at a cutting-edge expert organisation!
As a research trainee, you will have a job profile very similar to that of a recently graduated research scientist. You will become acquainted with a research scientist’s work, receive high-level support and have the opportunity to improve your scientific competence. Our research trainees can work either on hourly contracts alongside their studies or full time if at the end of their studies, combining the project work with writing their final paper.
Other trainee opportunities
VTT is about much more than just high-end research. We have a constant need for talent from various sectors in society. In addition to research trainees, we have trainees in communications, finance, HR, and so on. All our traineeships provide the opportunity to work at the cutting edge of technology and to do work that is significant even on a global scale.
Applying for trainee opportunities
If you are pursuing your Master's or Bachelor's degree and interested in joining VTT, please investigate which of our research topics and areas speaks most to you from VTT's Research Information Portal or from VTT's tech & infra. Once you have identified your specific area of interest, send your open application with your CV, short motivation letter and transcript of records by scrolling down the page. We only review applications which have identified their specific interest as we open new student positions. If we see a potential match, we contact those applicants with whom we wish to continue the recruitment process.
Working at VTT:
Trainee and thesis worker blogs:
- Printed Intelligence: A world of possibilities – My summer job as a research trainee in the Printed Materials Systems team
- Making measurements and learning in a cleanroom – Summer job as a research trainee in VTT's MEMS team
- Innovation through virtual modeling – The summer job that changed my perception in materials design
- Keeping busy as a communications trainee at VTT
- A summer full of diverse tasks and learning new as an HR trainee at VTT
- A sweet spot between technology and the commercial world – My master’s thesis at a deep technology incubator
- Writing a master's thesis at VTT: "Here you can challenge yourself to think outside the box"
To get to know more about working at VTT, please watch the video below of our trainees Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella describing their work and how they drove change at VTT!
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organization, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science, and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy, the path of exponential hope, and our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, young professionals' skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You'll discover our community of over 2200 experts representing more than 55 nationalities working across cutting-edge areas of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. At VTT, young talents can take on meaningful research projects or support researchers' work. We treat young talents as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work-life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Please see our other open positions and read more about us from our career pages.