Postdoctoral Researcher, Electrification of Transport
Are you interested in electromobility and looking for a postdoctoral opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of academy and industry? Are you enthusiastic about working with fascinating projects in state-of-the-art research facilities? VTT might be just the place for you. If you are an international talent searching for a new opportunity, read more about the benefits of living in Finland and VTT’s support for relocation here!
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2200 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's tech & infra.
We are now looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join our Electromobility team for a fixed-term employment (approx. 24 months) in early 2024!
In 2023 VTT started a Postdoc programme to develop new ways to support scientific excellence and to strengthen career paths from universities to VTT. We want to provide development opportunities for recent university PhDs in applied research and industry collaboration. As a Postdoctoral Researcher at VTT, you are able to make an impact on our customers and society. Our researchers work closely together with industry, often in interdisciplinary research groups. VTT has excellent research infrastructure and internal services to support your research work.
In this Postdoctoral Researcher position, you will have an essential role in developing our expertise on data-driven modelling and design optimisation methodology for electric vehicle system design and performance optimisation. Our team, Electromobility, works on the electrification of transport to tackle climate change by accelerating the shift from the use of fossil fuels towards sustainable transport.
Read more about our research:
- Video about our electric vehicle and battery technology research
- Electric vehicles
- Blog post about developments in electric transport.
Your responsibilities as Postdoctoral Researcher:
- Advancing data-driven modelling methodology development and application for various components and subsystems
- Contributing to data-driven electric truck system design optimization methodology development through learning algorithms and statistical use of synthetic data and real operational data from vehicle performance and operations, operating conditions and interface to energy infrastructure and management
- Contributing to digital twin development for vehicles and their subsystems
- Collaborating in research team and project group with co-writing and project work
- Participating in new project preparations, especially within the Horizon Europe work programme
- Participating actively in dissemination with journal publications and presenting results in conferences and seminars
- Supervising or tutoring junior team members.
Who we are looking for:
- You have recently (max 5 years ago) gained your doctoral degree in electrical engineering, automation engineering, computer science, systems engineering, or a closely related field.
- You are skilled in data-driven modelling methodologies, data analytics, artificial intelligence and/or multi-agent systems.
- You are fluent in programming (Python, MATLAB, C/C++).
- You have a keen interest in real-time systems and digital twin development.
- You are interested in electric vehicle research field and have knowledge of electric powertrains and related technologies.
- You have excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A fast learner, capable of working in a flexible and independent manner and collaborating with colleagues across different fields of science and technology.
- We appreciate curiosity, passion as well as the ability to take the long-term perspective and find beyond-the-obvious solutions.
- An open-minded and innovative person with a vision of longer-term research needs.
- You are eager to work with new topics and methods, even out of your comfort zone to achieve the set ambitious goals.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Science with an impact. At VTT, we seek to solve large societal challenges and drive a sustainable future through applied research and innovation. With us, you’ll get to work on research projects that make a concrete, positive impact in the world. Read more about our strategy, the path of exponential hope, and our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
- Support for your postdoc research. During your postdoctoral term, we offer training in project management, scientific writing, communication, and commercialisation. You’ll have the opportunity collaborate with industry on projects, access our research infrastructure and internal support services, explore interdisciplinary research, and secure funding for your postdoc term. At VTT, you’ll enjoy flexibility and independence in your work, with a blend of academic research and engaging customer projects for an exciting career path.
- Open culture of innovation. We have 80 years of experience in science-based innovation, a strong international reputation and global networks. We work truly across disciplines, and house all the cutting-edge sciences from quantum computing to synthetic biology under one roof. At VTT, you’ll join a community of over 2200 multidisciplinary experts who foster a culture of trust, openness and sharing knowledge. Collaborating with amazing colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Nordic work–life balance. Working in Finland, the happiest country in the world, enables a great quality of life. At VTT, we make our people’s well-being a strategic priority. We offer 6 weeks paid vacation a year, and our benefits include extended occupational healthcare, and a range well-being services, such as exercise and culture benefits and hobby clubs. Read more about the benefits of living in Finland and VTT’s support for relocation.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 3 December 2023. We will process applications as they come in and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate. A security clearance procedure may be conducted during the recruitment process.
Interested and want to know more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Ari Hentunen, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 40 5500161 on 10 November 2023 at 11–12 EET or 21 November at 9–10 EET.
We look forward to hearing from you!
This position will be in a project funded by European Union's NextGenerationEU instrument.
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.