Research Engineer / Research Scientist for 6G and Datalink Test Environment and Quantum Networks
Are you interested in 6G, Datalink Test Environment and Quantum Networks and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of the academy and industry? Are you enthusiastic about working with fascinating projects in state-of-the-art research facilities? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning, and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds focuses on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's research infra at VTT World.
Our 6G research team focuses on development of satellite and terrestrial communications solutions for demanding application areas such as autonomous and remote-controlled systems, and industrial users. We develop also situational awareness solutions to enable remote operations, and to optimize use of spectrum for future communication systems. The team is located in Oulu and Espoo, the open position is in Otaniemi, Espoo premises.
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a motivated research scientist and/or research engineer to do research and development on wireless data link testing environment, beyond 5G/6G test networks, and to aid on building the new quantum key distribution network in our research facilities. The work will include for example participation on design and implementation of test and experimentation systems, installation of telecommunication system software and hardware, and developing testing applications and demonstrations, and carrying out tests and measurements in our existing test network environments. Part of the daily work will be test network management and administration tasks. As a research scientist, you would be responsible later for preparations of new projects and project management.
The content of the work will be tailored according to the worker's skills and practical experience. We are providing interesting and challenging work in a dynamic research team. This opens excellent possibilities for the applicant to participate both in national and international R&D projects. Part of the work is done in a self-funded project and partly the work will support a customer funded activity focusing on signal detection.
We offer you a position where you can have the opportunity to collaborate with top researchers from Finnish academia and leading industry. You will have a chance to expand your network, meet experienced researchers, and learn new things about 5G/6G networks and satellite communications. The work will be done under supervision of a VTT senior researcher.
A specific project to work on:
The work will be carried out in our test network projects, including the development and setting up the new data link testing facilities at Espoo site, as well as quantum key distribution network and demonstration system building. The test network management includes the work on setting up the test systems and networks, configuration of devices such as routers, switches, 5G and LTE base stations and other network devices.
We expect you to have
- Basic knowledge about wireless technologies (e.g. Wi-Fi, LTE, 5G/6G) and IP network / network configuration
- Basic programming skills; C/C++, Unix shell scripting, experience in Scala and Rust are beneficial
- Understanding and skills on FPGA programming and software development for SDR platforms is beneficial
- Basic knowledge on network configuration and management, and practical understanding of cybersecurity and network security in wireless and wired networks
- Mandatory spoken and written fluency in English, fluent Finnish is beneficial
- Motivation for a research career and as an engineer motivation to extend you studies toward higher academic degree is beneficial
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Innovative and solutions-oriented team-player, being able to work independently as well
- Willing to learn new things
- You have good problem-solving skills
- Proactive and possess a self-driven mind-set
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering, from next-generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems, and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating a real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects locally and internationally. At VTT, you'll have state-of-the-art research facilities, such as Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano-, and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us for over ten years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun. Read more about our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture excellent team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work-life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation and cognitive ergonomics training.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 31 of December 2022. We will process applications as they come in and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to know more?
For more information about the position, you can contact Jyrki Huusko, Research Team Lead +358405254698, email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.