Research Scientist, Electrochemistry
Do you want to join Biosensors team as well as looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of the academy and industry? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning, and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds focuses on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's research infra at VTT World.
We are looking for a Research Scientist, Electrochemistry to join Biosensors team in Oulu
With us you will be responsible for the development of biosensors used in medical or environmental field with point-of-care or laboratory related settings. Your main responsibilities include design of experimental procedures and protocols; implementation of the experiments according to established timelines and milestones; participation in project planning and grant preparation; developing and managing industrial collaborations. To be successful in this position, you should be capable of performing and reporting research extensively and promptly. In addition, you should be able to guide other team members in the use, design and implementation of sensor and assay development tasks.
Biosensors team is developing next generation biosensing platforms for various health and environment applications. Our research is mainly focusing on realization of rapid diagnostic platforms and test systems for immunoassays, electrochemical tests and nucleic acid test. Our research is closely related to roll-to-roll printing technology which enables mass manufacturing of low-cost assay platforms (www.printocent.net).
Your key responsibilities include following
- developing new biosensor solutions for health and environmental analytics
- applying electrochemical solutions for printed diagnostics applications
- project planning and preparation together with other researchers, customers and other stakeholders
- writing project proposals and reports
- implementation of research work as a part of the project group
We value/except you to have a
- Hands-on expertise in particular in electrochemical sensing and test development
- Know-how in microfluidics and/or optical sensor development is also welcome.
- A strong organizational and communication skills to assist and collaborate with a multidisciplinary group of researchers and engineers, in a dynamic team environment.
- An ability to tackle multiple projects simultaneously as a member of an integrated multidisciplinary team is essential
- Extensive knowledge of the medical device development process and experience in mentoring fellows and/or students is preferred.
- We expect you to have M. Sc or Ph.D in Analytical chemistry or Bioanalytics/Bioengineering or other appropriate field.
- Fluent English is essential and Finnish skills are beneficial.
As a person, we hope that you are
- productive and creative
- experienced in writing scientific publications and funding applications
- strong in verbal and written communication skills
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering, from next-generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems, and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating a real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects locally and internationally. At VTT, you'll have state-of-the-art research facilities, such as Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano-, and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us for over ten years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture excellent team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work-life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation and cognitive ergonomics training.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by Mon 10th of April 2023. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to know more?
For more information about the position, please contact Dr. Leena Hakalahti, Research Team Leader (firstname.lastname@example.org), mobile: +358 40 504 5570
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.