Research scientist for circular materials (fixed-term)
Are you interested in developing sustainable solutions to solve future secondary raw material and product demands? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work in the interface of academy and industry? Are you enthusiastic about working with fascinating projects in state-of-the-art research facilities? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World.
We are now looking for a research scientist for a one year fixed-term to work within our industrial circular economy team either in Espoo or Tampere
As a research scientist, you act in the field of sustainable circular economy, circular design and eco-design, recycling industry and circular materials. Circular design and demand for circular materials raises up, e.g., in emerging technologies such as future energy technologies and electric mobility. In the industrial circular economy team we work with developing sustainable solutions to solve future secondary raw material and product demands. Specifically:
- End-of-life strategies
- Waste and material flows
- Secondary raw materials
- Materials circularity policies
Our projects are domestic and international research project connected to questions like:
- How to capture value in industrial symbiosis and sustainable circular economy?
- How systemic approach and eco-systems support lifecycle of products and closing the loops?
- How circular economy will change design and production?
- How advanced manufacturing technologies and re-manufacturing can support more sustainable use of materials and realization of resource efficient products?
- How circular materials and secondary raw materials can substitute critical ones in complex systems?
- How re-design in circular economy change play in resource supply and demand?
Your responsibilities as research scientist:
- Acting as an expert and a scientist in the field of sustainable circular economy, circular design, eco-design and circular materials, keeping presentations commonly on international seminars as well as writing publications
- Having an active role in research networks and customer relations
Who we are looking for:
- You have knowledge of circular economy, especially related to sustainable circular materials, production, separation and recycling. Know-how is preferential e.g., from relevant circular economy value chains such as energy or process industry, machinery, mobility, building and construction or raw materials
- You have excellent writing skills and presentation skills. English is a requirement and Finnish is an advantage
- You have a M.Sc. in e.g., material science, chemistry, environmental engineering or another relevant field
As a person, we hope that you are:
An innovative team worker, eager to learn, develop and achieve things. You are efficient, well-organised, and proactive. You are able to inspire your colleagues and you naturally have the urge to share your ideas.
Most importantly, you have a customer service-oriented team player mindset, willing to take on new challenges and responsibilities in the development of new sustainable solutions for industrial applications.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy: / What we offer you:
Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering from next generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects, both locally and internationally. At VTT, you’ll have state-of-the-art research facilities at your disposal, such as Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano- and quantum technologies.
Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us over 10 years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun. Read more about our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by November 30th, 2022. We will process applications as they come in and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Päivi Kivikytö-Reponen, Paivi.Kivikyto-Reponen@vtt.fi, +358404835785 on Monday 21.11. between 13-15.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Please see our other open positions and read more about us from our career pages.