Research Scientist, Nuclear Energy Structural Materials
Are you interested in nuclear energy and material performance and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of the academy and industry? Are you enthusiastic about working with fascinating projects in state-of-the-art research facilities? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World.
We are now looking for a Research Scientist with a background in material science to join our Nuclear Reactor Materials team.
As a Research Scientist, your key goals are solving material issues of the industry by conducting tests, analysis, and characterisation work in a laboratory. The main research topics include environmental and radiation effects on reactor primary circuit materials. You will also lead and execute research projects in nuclear reactor materials. In this position, you will have an essential role in solving global issues related to sustainable energy production.
Our Nuclear Reactor Materials team works on solving material performance issues of the nuclear power industry, such as environmental and radiation effects on reactor primary circuit materials. Our project portfolio includes international and local government-funded research projects, as well as fast-paced customer contracts. New focus areas of the team include additive manufacturing, long-term operation (LTO), and small-modular reactors (SMR) technologies which are critical for sustainable energy production.
Your responsibilities as Research Scientist:
- Materials characterisation especially with scanning electron microscope (SEM) and transmission electron microscopy (TEM) techniques
- Project management including planning and resource management
- Failure case analyses including root cause determination
- Reporting the results to stakeholders and engaging with the scientific and industrial communities
- Depending on your skills and knowledge, your responsibilities can also include research related to hydrogen and materials interactions and degradation.
Who we are looking for:
- You have a few years of experience in an industrial or academic research environment with a focus on materials degradation.
- You have a Master of Science in Technology in materials science, metallurgy, or a closely related field; preferably, you also have a PhD.
- You are a highly motivated and driven individual who wants to solve material issues of sustainable energy production through experimentation.
- You have experience in mechanical testing, characterisation, and chemical analysis of materials.
- You work well in a multicultural team environment with other scientists, engineers, and laboratory technicians.
- You have project management experience or willingness to learn project management skills.
- You are willing to work with radioactive materials in the special facilities of VTT’s Centre of Nuclear Safety.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Fast learner who is capable of working in a flexible and independent manner.
- A curious person who is excited about science and new technologies in the nuclear materials area and want to solve global issues.
- A scientist with a customer focus and the ability to attract funding for your work.
- A safety-minded person who is comfortable working with radioactive materials in a safe and controlled research environment.
If you are an international talent looking for a new opportunity, please read more about the benefits of living and working in Finland as well as VTT's support for relocation of the new employees! Please note that VTT will cover the cost of temporary accommodation of two weeks in Finland, travel and removals for permanent employees.
What we offer you:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering from next generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects, both locally and internationally. At VTT, you’ll have state-of-the-art research facilities at your disposal, in the VTT Centre for Nuclear Safety laboratory.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us over 10 years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 11 December 2022. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Mikko Vepsäläinen, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +358 469206172 on 1 December 2022 from 1 pm - 3 pm or 5 December 2022 from 1 pm to 2 pm (Finnish time).
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.
Please see our other open positions and read more about us from our career pages.