Research Scientist or Master's Thesis worker for Spectrum Situational Awareness and 6G Research
Do you want to join our 6G research team at VTT? Our team focuses on development of satellite and terrestrial communications solutions for demanding application areas such as autonomous and remote-controlled systems, and industrial users. We develop also situational awareness solutions to enable autonomous operations, and to optimize use of spectrum for future communication systems. Our team is located in Oulu and Espoo - you can join us in any of the locations!
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning, and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds focuses on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's tech & infra.
We are looking for a motivated research scientist or a master’s thesis worker to do research on 6G and spectrum measurements and analysis. The work will aim to develop practical solutions in our test network and simulator environments, in collaboration with a senior expert at VTT.
The work may include following parts:
- Literature review on spectrum measurements and signal detection conducted with multi-antenna array receiver (can be also sparse array)
- Development of a simulation environment for Matlab-based signal detection and analysis
- Familiarization and practical development work with measurement devices and Matlab-based analysis of measured data
- Writing the thesis (and/or a publication on findings)
The content of the work will be tailored according to the worker's skills and practical experience. We are providing interesting and challenging work in a dynamic research team. This opens excellent possibilities for the applicant to participate both in national and international R&D projects.
A specific project to work on: We have an on-going project focusing on development of situational awareness solutions and connectivity for critical users. The work includes real-time situational awareness to support autonomous and industrial systems - and spectrum situational awareness to analyze what kind of signals are present in the area. The project also develops methods for use of that data in optimizing our own transmission.
The spectrum part of the project studies how to detect and classify different types of signals in the environment from the frequency bands of interest. We are also interested in estimating the number of signals their direction of arrival.
In order to succeed you should have:
- Basic knowledge about wireless technologies (e.g. Wi-Fi, LTE, 5G/6G, satellites, MIMO antenna technologies) and signal propagation in wireless environments
- Basic programming skills and knowledge of ML/AI algorithms.
- Basic knowledge of signal detection, signal processing and cognitive radio systems
- Basic knowledge of software-defined radio platforms such as Ettus is seen beneficial
- Mandatory spoken and written fluency in English. Finnish working proficiency is considered as an asset.
- We appreciate prior knowledge of different wireless technologies, e.g. 5G, WiFi, and programming languages, e.g. Matlab, C#, C++, Python.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Innovative and solutions-oriented team-player, being able to work independently as well
- Willing to learn new things
- You have good problem-solving skills
- Proactive and possess a self-driven mind-set
- Motivation for a research career
We offer you a position where you get the opportunity to collaborate with top researchers from Finnish academia and leading industry. You will have a chance to expand your network, meet experienced researchers, and learn new things about 5G/6G networks and satellite communications. The work will be done under supervision of a VTT senior researcher.
Whit VTT, you`ll enjoy:
- Work with a strong purpose. At VTT, you’ll get to use your professional expertise to help solve the greatest challenges of our time through science and innovation. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating solutions for systemic and technological challenges, such as reaching carbon neutrality and creating superior digital systems. At VTT, you’ll get to do your part in driving this meaningful change through your professional skills. Read more about our strategy, the path of exponential hope, and our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
- An inspiring community. VTT houses all the cutting-edge fields of innovation, from quantum technology to synthetic biology, under one roof. As a professional at VTT, you’ll witness and influence the future of science and technology as it happens.
- Career and learning opportunities. As a scientific expert organisation, we emphasise learning and development and support our people in reaching their full potential. People stay at VTT for more than ten years, as we offer opportunities to develop and grow into new responsibilities. If you’re curious, ambitious, and willing to learn, VTT is the place to take your career to the next level.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture excellent team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work-life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation and cognitive ergonomics training.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 11th of October 2023. We will process applications as they come in and fill the position as soon as we find the right candidate. A security clearance procedure may be conducted during the recruitment process.
Interested and want to know more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Kari Heiska, email@example.com, +358 40 774 2612) and/or Marko Höyhtyä, Research Professor (tel. +358 40 548 9204), email. firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.