Research Scientist / Research Trainee, Cybersecurity
Are you interested in cybersecurity and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of academy and industry? Are you enthusiastic about working with fascinating projects in the state-of-the-art research facilities? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning, and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds focuses on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's research infra at VTT World.
We are now looking for a motivated Research Scientist or Research Trainee to join our Applied Cybersecurity team.
As a Research Scientist or Research Trainee in Cybersecurity, you have a role in performing state of the art research on various aspects of cybersecurity, from security requirements and design principles to network/device security testing, situational awareness, platform security, social engineering and digital forensics.
You can already be either an experienced professional (with master or Ph.D. degree), at the beginning of your career with a master or you are finishing your master's degree. Your responsibilities will be modified accordingly (senior researcher, research scientist or trainee). Our team, Applied Cybersecurity, focuses on topics related to security design, training, assessment and awareness.
As Research Scientist or Research Trainee you will:
- Participate to research projects, commercial and public, on both national and international level
- Continuously acquire knowledge and learn new skills
- Senior scientists are leading research topics and actively contribute to VTT’s cybersecurity strategy
- Together with the team, develop VTT’s strategy for the future of cybersecurity
Who we are looking for:
- You have completed or nearly finished a Master's degree in cybersecurity, computer science, networks (computer networks, mobile communications), engineering (e.g., computer/electrical/industrial Eng.) or relevant (e.g. mathematics).
- A Ph.D. degree relevant to system engineering, information technology, cybersecurity is a plus.
- Experience on Artificial Intelligence methods and tools is a significant advantage.
- Good knowledge of at least one programming language (Python, Java, C++…).
- Excellent English skills (spoken and written).
Meritorious skills for this role (good to have, not required):
- Practical experience in cyber security from work or university
- Understanding of information systems and network protocols.
- Understanding of Industrial Control Systems and their cybersecurity challenges.
- Understanding of web application security.
- Understanding of risk analysis, threat modelling (e.g. STRIDE method)
- Knowledge of security tools like Nmap, Wireshark, MetaSploit, Empire, and Burp Suite.
- Knowledge and familiarity with Linux operating systems.
- Certifications, such as OSCP, CEH, GPEN, CISSP.
- Experience in tryhackme.com, hackthebox and similar platforms.
- Knowledge of related standards and frameworks, e.g. IEC 62443, ISO 27001, OWASP, KATAKRI/PITUKRI.
- Finnish language skills are seen beneficial but not necessary.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A motivated team player with a desire for continuous learning.
- Security-oriented mindset and familiarity with passion to learn about cybersecurity for critical infrastructure and society in general.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering, from next-generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems, and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating a real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects locally and internationally. At VTT, you'll have state-of-the-art research facilities, such as Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano-, and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us for over ten years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun. Read more about our organisational culture as the builder of the world's most meaningful place to work.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture excellent team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work-life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation and cognitive ergonomics training.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 10th of February 2023. We will process applications as they come in and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate. Candidates for VTT researcher positions are required to go through security clearance before being hired.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Nikolaos Papakonstantinou over email (Nikolaos.Papakonstantinou@vtt.fi) or phone (+358 401949034)
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have 80 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.