Research Scientist, Wearable electronics
Are you interested in wearable electronics and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of academy and industry? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World.
We are now looking for an electronics designer/biomedical engineer to join our Flexible Electronics Integration research team in Oulu
As a Research Scientist, Wearable electronics you are focusing on electronics design and your key goals are electronics design of the prototypes from schematic to layout, and for the fabrication and assembly of these prototypes. You will be also responsible for carrying out various electrical measurements, and for building the required measurement setups as well as for documenting and analyzing the results. The position is located in Oulu.
Our team, Flexible Electronics Integration works on flexible and stretchable electronics integration technologies enabling novel solutions in wellness and healthcare, IoT and other application areas. As an example, have a look at our project on smart patches for patient monitoring. You will be on the edge of new technologies involving novel assembly and printed electronics processes and multidisciplinary product applications. As part of our team, you will work with globally leading universities, research institutes and companies and you have a chance to make an impact in the application areas such as healthcare and wellness.
Read more about our research here.
Your responsibilities as a Research Scientist:
- Prototype concept design and specification as well as system design and component selection
- Electronics design of prototypes from schematics to layout; including flexible electronics
- Fabrication and assembly of the prototypes
- Building the measurement setups and carrying out various electrical measurements
- Testing of prototypes in relevant real-world settings
- Documentation of the results (in English) and communication with customers and other stakeholders
Who we are looking for:
- At least two years of working experience in embedded system development, electronics design (schematic and layout) and preferably experience in firmware development as well as equivalent hands-on experience in prototype realisations and characterizations.
- Working experience or studies in wearable sensors and physiological measurement, biomedical engineering or biophysics.
- Experience in low-power system design is considered as an advantage
- You have good cooperation and networking skills
- MSc degree in electronics or in another suitable discipline.
- Fluent written and oral communication in English.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Self-driven and excited to learn new things and to strengthen your skills in the field of wearable electronics.
- You find it interesting to be part of the development of state-of-the-art printed electronics in our international projects that aim for global markets.
- Looking forward to work in an international and multicultural team
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering from next generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects, both locally and internationally. At VTT, you’ll have state-of-the-art research facilities at your disposal, such as Printocent Pilot Factory.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us over 10 years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by Mon 10th of April 2023. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Teemu Alajoki (email@example.com)
We look forward to hearing from you!
Employment type: Full-time, Permanent
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.