Senior Scientist, Electron Microscopy and Focused Ion Beam Methods
Are you expert in Electron and Focused Ion Beam techniques and looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology and new solutions with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of academy and industry? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Get to know us further by exploring VTT’s research infra at VTT World.
We are now looking for Senior Scientist to join our Materials in Extreme Environments team.
As a Senior Scientist, your key goal is to master and develop electron microscopy and focused ion beam (FIB) techniques for solving materials challenges and to support computational materials modelling. In this position, you will have the leading role in microstructural and elemental characterization (in 3D), developing in-situ testing methods to a completely new level, and integrating our overall electron microscopy capabilities to future projects. You will be one of the main users of our brand new advanced FIB-SEM.
Our team, Materials in Extreme Environments works with numerous industries where understanding the materials behaviour is the key to success. Material durability and lifetime, understanding the link between materials property and performance, and supporting computational materials design are key drivers for our work. As the industry is rapidly changing carbon dioxide free, understanding the materials performance is becoming more important than ever.
Read more about our research:
As Senior Scientist, you will:
- Use your advanced skills in Scanning and Transmission Electron Microscopy and Focused Ion Beam techniques for analysing the properties of mainly metallic materials. Preferably, you are familiar with plasma-FIBs.
- Thrive for development and understand the limitations and possibilities of the state-of-the-art electron microscopy, and FIB methods.
- Work supporting the existing projects and take the leading role in developing our project portfolio around advanced characterization.
- Report, analyse, and disseminate your results in journal articles and research reports.
Who we are looking for:
- You have several years of experience in electron microscopy, especially in SEM-EBSD of metallic materials. You are a frequent FIB user and also (S)TEM. Knowledge on plasma-FIBs and 3D-analyses is considered as a merit.
- You have Ph.D. (preferable) or M.Sc in Materials Science, Engineering Physics or similar related field.
- You understand the needs of materials modelling and can produce experimental data that works as an input for the models. In the future, we expect that the process can also run reverse: experimental work feeding topics to the modelling.
- You are excited about further development of the traditional electron microscopy, in-situ testing methods, and implementing machine learning and AI as a part of the process.
- You have several years of experience in SEM and FIB operational systems, both hardware and software.
- You have a strong record of successful project proposals and journal publications.
- You can communicate and report your findings fluently in English. Knowing the basics of Finnish is not mandatory but would be a plus.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- You are able to manage several assignments simultaneously and flexible adapt to changing situations.
- You are a team player but also capable of performing high-quality work independently.
- You are highly development oriented and enjoy challenges and learning new things. You have a strong passion for science and R&D.
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering from next generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects, both locally and internationally. At VTT, you’ll have state-of-the-art research facilities at your disposal, such as Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano- and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us over 10 years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture great team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work–life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation programmes and trainings on cognitive ergonomics.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 2 Dec 2022. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Janne Pakarinen, email@example.com, +358 50 441 2608 (in weeks 46-47).
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.