Senior Scientist / Project Manager, Optical measurement
Are you interested in Optical measurements and project management as well as looking for a new job opportunity in the field? Would you like to develop innovative technology with superb colleagues who are top experts in their field? Do you want to build an excellent science career and work at the interface of the academy and industry? VTT might be just the place for you.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning, and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds focuses on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Get to know us further by exploring VTT's research infra at VTT World.
We are looking for a Senior Research Scientist/Project Manager with experience in generating, preparing and leading research projects, to join Optical measurements team in Oulu
You will work with our experts in the field of optical sensing, machine vision, spectroscopy or optoelectronics. The application areas can vary from agriculture to mining, paper, process, medical and defense industry. You will be part of our cross-functional research team (optical-, electrical - and mechanical design, assembly, calibration, testing and software design), which develops customized optical measurement prototypes and solutions.
The mission of our team is to develop optical measurements solutions and high-performance instruments for demanding industrial applications as well as for near consumer products. The team has 25 cross-functional experts covering the necessary development chain from application studies to sensor system integration and assembly for optical instrument development.
Your key responsibilities include following
- Contribute to innovating new project ideas and leading research project preparation especially for HEU and BF calls
- Leading and coordinating large HEU and BF research projects
- Participation in team’s research activities in optical sensing methods, spectroscopy, machine vision or optoelectronics areas
- Active participation in creating new customer projects together with other key people
We value you to have a
- Experience in generating, preparing and leading research projects
- Background in optical sensing methods, spectroscopy, machine vision or optoelectronics
- PhD or M.Sc in relevant area
- Fluent in written and spoken English
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Have good communication skills and a passion for networking with collaborators and customers to build up international consortiums
- Are able to lead large projects and have an open-minded, result-driven and proactive mind set
- Are familiar with working in international research teams and projects
- Have willingness to learn new things and travel abroad
With VTT, you’ll enjoy:
- Visionary work in technology. We offer positions at the cutting-edge of technology and engineering, from next-generation microelectronics and quantum technology to automation and robotics, energy systems, and more. Our research agenda is dedicated to creating sustainable growth by solving systemic and technological challenges, so your work will go towards creating a real, positive impact. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Fascinating projects, excellent research environment. Our researchers get to work on a combination of cutting-edge academic research and applied customer projects locally and internationally. At VTT, you'll have state-of-the-art research facilities, such as Micronova, the Finnish research infrastructure for micro-, nano-, and quantum technologies.
- Great career opportunities, superb colleagues. At VTT, excellence in research is a strategic priority. We offer long-term positions and stable career paths in top-level research. People tend to stay with us for over ten years since there are always new roles and responsibilities to grow into. Collaborating in a cross-disciplinary community with superb colleagues is a source of learning, inspiration, and fun.
- Support for your well-being. Our people are our main asset, so we take good care of them. We aim to nurture excellent team spirit and leadership and offer versatile well-being services to enable a good work-life balance. On top of 6 weeks of paid holidays, we offer exercise and culture benefits, hobby clubs, and voluntary well-being services such as meditation and cognitive ergonomics training.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Please send your CV and application with your salary request via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by Mon 10th of April 2023. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Interested and want to know more?
For more information about the position, please contact Katariina Rahkamaa-Tolonen, Research Team Leader (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is a visionary research, development and innovation partner. We drive sustainable growth and tackle the biggest global challenges of our time and turn them into growth opportunities. We go beyond the obvious to help the society and companies to grow through technological innovations. We have over 75 years of experience of top-level research and science-based results. VTT is at the sweet spot where innovation and business come together.
VTT – beyond the obvious.