VTT Summer of Changemakers: Master’s Thesis worker, System Automation
Are you interested in renewable energy and alternative powertrain options in vehicle and non-road mobile machinery? Do you want to implement new testing automation system in our team by developing modular hardware-in-the-loop functionality for our vehicles and engines dynamometers? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2022 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2000 brilliant minds from 48 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Master Thesis worker in our Efficient Engines and Vehicles team to finalize studies by developing and implementing a modular Hardware-in-the-loop (HiL) functionality embedded in our testing systems? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope upcoming spring and next summer!
The Efficient engines and vehicles team has a unique offering of engine and vehicle related research and development activities. We are focusing on research for renewable fuels combustion and hybrid powertrains performance and emissions in engines and vehicles.
What your responsibilities as a Master Thesis worker would include?
Develop and implement modular HiL functionality for vehicles chassis and engines dynamometer for electric and hybrid powertrain testing activities:
- Literature review on state-of-the-art HiL and test automation solutions
- Development of real-time system communicating with the powertrain simulation model and dynamometer control software
- Implementation of the selected solution in real-time environment with appropriate communication protocols and interfaces with the simulation model and dynamometer control software
- Demonstration of the final real-time system with already available powertrain simulation model
For this position, a keen interest in real-time systems, programming and test automation is essential. Basic level understanding of hybrid and electrical powertrains, electric vehicle technologies and their systems is an asset. Ability to combine theory with practise will help you to work in solution-oriented manner. We are especially looking for a team player with good interaction and communication skills.
Who we are looking for?
We expect you to have studies from the relevant programme for example automation and system engineering. Knowhow on real-time systems, communication protocols and programming are seen necessary for successful execution of the theses. Knowhow on vehicles and working machine powertrains (electric, hybrid and ICE) are seen as an advantage, but not necessary.
The ideal candidate for this position would have several of the following qualifications:
- A motivated student in final phases of the studies within a relevant field.
- Experience in real-time systems, programming and understanding of communication protocols.
- Familiar with modelling and simulation tools and methods i.e. for example MATLAB Simulink etc.
- Understanding of vehicle and working machine powertrains (electric, hybrid and ICE) is seen as an advantage but not necessary.
- Knowhow of LabVIEW programming is seen as an advantage.
- Ability for independent work and self-guiding skills are highly appreciated.
- Good competence in providing written documentation.
- Basic understanding from experimental work is seen as benefit.
- You have good skills in English language. Knowledge of additional languages is an asset.
As a person, we hope that you are:
You have excellent interaction and communication skills, and you like to use them in both internal and external relations. You have willingness and ability to participate both in hands-on and modelling & simulation activities. You are self-initiative, and you have an ability to think and act proactively.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Transport systems team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is it like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 12 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the length of this master’s thesis work will be around 7 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For more information about the position, you can contact Petri Söderena, Research Team Leader, Efficient engines and vehicles, e-mail. Petri.Soderena@vtt.fi or tel. +358403573420 on Thursday 26th of January at 9.00 – 10.00, Wednesday 1st of February and 8th of February at 9.00 - 11.00 (Finnish time).
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 page.