VTT Summer of Changemakers: Master’s Thesis worker, Transport systems
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Master’s Thesis worker in our Transport systems team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Master’s thesis worker, you’ll contribute to the knowledge gap of the impacts of driving automation systems in passenger cars in Europe. The goal of the work is to investigate the possible safety impacts of driver support features that are enabled in manual driving situations due to the cars’ advanced equipment and capability of performing part of the dynamic driving task. Your results will be utilized in a European flagship project.
Our research team, Transport systems, produces reliable and evidence-based information on the impacts of different transport and mobility-related measures such as new technologies, technological systems, services, and policy instruments. The results of our research are used to support decision-making among different actors toward sustainable mobility which is safe and green for all users.
Your responsibilities as a Master’s thesis worker
The topic of the Master thesis will relate to the impacts of driver support features in passenger cars on European roads, with a focus on the effects on the different types of accidents. The final topic will be elaborated on together. The practical tasks include:
- Conducting a literature review
- Estimation of the safety impact based on accident statistics
- Communicating your results both in written reports and oral presentations
Who we are looking for?
- Your studies are in the Master thesis stage at a Finnish university
- A strong education in a field related to transport
- You have excellent written and spoken English language skills
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A team player who is interested in research work and eager to learn new things and develop competencies in the field of safe and sustainable transport. You deliver according to the commitments and are not afraid to ask for help when needed.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Transport systems team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Fanny Malin, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358406486593 on Friday 20.1.2023 at 1–2 PM or on Wednesday 1.2.2023 at 10-11 AM (Helsinki time).
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.