VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee and Master’s Thesis positions, Machine vision
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research trainee or Master’s Thesis worker in our Optical measurements team in Oulu? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
We are looking for students in the field of machine vision, data science, and artificial intelligence.
You should be interested in one or more of the following:
- Signal or image processing
- Machine vision
- Data analysis
- Neural networks and artificial intelligence
Our team, Optical measurements works on optical sensing, machine vision, spectroscopy, and optoelectronics. The team has 25 cross-functional experts covering the necessary development chain from application studies to sensor system integration and assembly for the optical instrument development.
What would your responsibilities as a Research trainee or Master’s Thesis worker include?
You’ll use your skills in participating in the team’s research activities in machine vision and data analysis in several of the following:
- Making laboratory measurements with camera systems, laser time-of-flight systems, or other instruments
- Software development
- Organizing and analysing measurement data
- Data analysis and artificial intelligence
- Writing short reports of your work
Who we are looking for?
You are a student in engineering or physics (close to completing your BSc or MSc) and have
- Good university grades
- An interest in machine vision and data analytics
- Programming skills
- Good verbal and written English.
As a person, we hope that you are curious about science and new technologies. We also appreciate taking initiative and having good interaction skills.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Optical measurements team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Katariina Rahkamaa-Tolonen, email@example.com, +358 40 7598890 on
- 20.1.2023 between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. or
- 27.1.2023 between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.