VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Connectivity of Mobility Systems
Are you interested in wireless communication technology? Are you eager to learn how to use it for enabling autonomous and remote-controlled mobility and transport systems, including vehicles, ships, and drones? Do you want to work with superb colleagues, who are experts in their field to drive a sustainable future and tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can change the world for the better.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Connected Mobility team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
Our team, Connected Mobility, develops smart and reliable connectivity and computing solutions for autonomous and remote-controlled systems such as cars, ships, and drones. We also aim at increasing the impact of our work by adapting the developed solutions for the needs of smart grids, and critical communications. We are a dynamic research team, located in Oulu and Espoo. We participate actively in national and international R&D projects and strive to support the industry in Finland and at large to improve its efficiency, sustainability, and competitiveness. Additionally, our team works intensively with unmanned aerial systems and future aviation.
As a Research Trainee, you will get to:
As a Research Trainee, you will work on our projects, researching wireless communication technologies (e.g., 5G, 5G-Advanced, 6G) and related enablers, such as edge computing or positioning. In these topics, you will develop solutions for enabling future connected mobility systems, such as self-driving cars and unmanned aerial vehicles or drones.
Depending on your expertise and interests, your tasks will be related to the exploration of new techniques for improving network performance and quality and/or positioning accuracy for selected use cases involving connected mobility systems. The work will be technical and implementation and experimentation oriented, including performance (e.g., Quality of Service) testing and validation of the developed solutions either in a network simulator or in a laboratory or field trial setting, mimicking real-life operating environments.
You will conduct interesting and challenging work, honing your scientific research skills, and collaborating closely with your colleagues in a dynamic research team. The position opens excellent possibilities for you to participate both in national and international R&D projects as well.
Who we are looking for?
- You have prior knowledge about wireless network technologies (e.g., Wi-Fi, LTE, 5G, C-V2X, mesh technologies, Low-Power Wide Area (LPWA) networks), if interested only in wireless communications
- Alternatively, prior knowledge about both wireless technologies (e.g., Wi-Fi, LTE, 5G, C-V2X, mesh technologies, LPWA) and positioning techniques (sensor-based, network-based, and GNSS), if interested in both wireless communications and indoor/outdoor positioning
- Basic programming skills, e.g., C/C++, Python
- We also appreciate prior knowledge of related technologies, such as edge computing, MQTT, ML/AI, and an understanding of wireless system modelling and simulation
- Mandatory spoken and written fluency in English.
As a person, we hope that you:
- Are a curious mind, who is willing to learn, develop technical and scientific skills and take on new challenges that often require learning, trialling, failing, and coming in again from a different angle
- Have good problem-solving skills. Resilient and determined to find solutions, as we are tackling issues that have not been solved before.
- Are self-guided and thinking individual, who tries to invent new approaches, but is equally a team player, ready to discuss with a colleague or mentor, when challenges arise, as all projects are team efforts and collaboration
- Are eager to apply your skills to enabling future autonomous systems such as self-driving cars and unmanned aerial vehicles or drones
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Connected Mobility team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Petri Mononen, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 405 155 808.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Espoo (Otaniemi) or Oulu
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.