VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Flexible electronics
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Flexible electronics integration team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
In this position, you will have an essential role in projects related to sustainable electronics. These projects study reduction of the environmental impact of electronics. Depending on your education and previous experience, your work will include electronics design from schematic to the layout of the prototypes utilising novel flexible electronics methods, and for the fabrication and assembly of these prototypes, for instance. You will be also responsible for carrying out various electrical measurements, and building the required measurement setups as well as for documenting and analyzing the results.
Our team, Flexible electronics integration, work on flexible and stretchable electronics integration technologies. You will be on the edge of new technologies involving novel assembly and printed electronics processes and multidisciplinary product applications. As part of our team, you will work with globally leading universities, research institutes, and companies and you have a chance to make an impact in the application areas such as automotive, IoT, and healthcare and wellness.
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee include?
- Electronics design of prototypes from schematics to layout; including flexible electronics
- Fabrication and assembly of the prototypes; microcontroller programming (i.e. Arduino)
- Building the measurement setups and carrying out various electrical measurements
- Documentation of the results (in English)
Who we are looking for?
- The suitable candidate is studying e.g. electronics engineering or physics for 1 to n years.
- Some electronics design and prototyping skills as well as hands-on experience from doing electrical laboratory measurements.
- Experience and/or hobbyism from any of the following areas is appreciated: Electronics design, electrical measurements, software design/programming expertise in general, and measurement automation (using LabVIEW or similar).
- You have good cooperation and networking skills, as well as fluent written and oral communication in English.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Self-driven and excited to learn new things and to strengthen your skills in the field of flexible electronics design and measurements.
- You find it interesting to be part of the development of state-of-the-art printed electronics in our international projects that aim for global markets.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Flexible electronics integration team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Teemu Alajoki, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 40 745 4058 on
- 16th Jan 10:00-11:00 or
- 26th Jan 10:00-11:00.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.