VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Human behaviour measurement
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Human-centric AI team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, your key goals are to contribute to the development of measurement solutions for collecting data on human behaviour and analysis of the sensor data. In this position, you will be part of a project team, where our goal is to develop novel solutions for remote measurement of human behaviour and emotional state.
Our team, Human-centric AI, develops data-driven solutions either to improve understanding of human behaviour of complex digital systems or to assist humans in their decision-making with insight inferenced from data. We measure and analyse humans using different unobtrusive sensor technologies, analyse the data to deliver insight for humans or direct input for digital systems. Our identity is to be on the field and work in real-life contexts, implementing working solutions as proofs-of-concept and demonstrators for our customers and collaborators. Through this, we strive to support industry in Finland and at large to improve its efficiency, sustainability, and competitiveness.
What your responsibilities as a Research Trainee in our Human-centric AI team would include:
- You’ll work hands-on with different sensors and communication devices to set up a measurement system. The work will be technical and implementation-oriented.
- In collaboration with your project team, you’ll define a data collection environment and the data collection process. The aim is to collect training data for AI method development.
- You will be in charge of carrying out the data collection process, but you’ll get help from your project manager.
- You will have the possibility to experiment with AI methods and the collected data.
- You will participate in and follow the development of data processing and analytics solutions utilizing state-of-the-art Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning methods.
Who we are looking for?
- You can be at the final stage of your studies with work experience or looking for the first summer trainee position in the early stages of your studies. We’ll adjust your role accordingly.
- You master at least one programming language (e.g. Python).
- You have a basic knowledge of data analysis principles, machine learning, and data engineering, or you can acquire this knowledge fairly quickly
- You want to fiddle with devices, manage large data sets, and are eager to find meaningful information for specific use cases.
- You are fluent in English, both written and spoken.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- A curious mind who is eager to develop technical skills and take on new challenges, often requiring learning, trialling, and failing and coming in again from a different angle
- Resilient and determined to find solutions, as we are tackling issues that have not been solved before
- Attentive and ready to listen to collaborators, especially the industry representatives, to learn what they need to deliver value
- Self-guided and thinking individual who tries to invent new approaches, but is equally ready to discuss with a colleague or mentor when challenges arise, as all projects are team efforts and collaboration rather than undue stubbornness is the best way to solve problems.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Human-centric AI team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Marko Jurmu, email@example.com, +358 505 264 324 on working days at 9-17.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.