VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee/Master’s Thesis Worker, Soft Matter Simulation
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee or Thesis Worker in our ProperTune Soft Condensed Materials team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, you will participate in the development of a computational engineering platform for the design, tailoring, and performance evaluation of soft matter systems. Specifically, you will assist in the development of computational models for cellulosic materials, and the tailoring of their properties through surface functionalisation. The work will focus on either molecular or continuum mechanics modelling, depending on your interests and skills.
Our team, ProperTune Soft Condensed Materials, works on various aspects of computational soft matter research. As such, we contribute to VTT’s ProperTune concept for integrated computational materials engineering. We aim to bring digital materials design into the toolkit of industries both in Finland and globally, especially in the growth areas of biobased, sustainable, and circular materials, and synthetic biology.
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee / Thesis worker include?
You will participate in the following model development, simulation, and data-analysis tasks:
- Development and implementation of a contact model for peridynamics
- Microstructure-based bio-composite modeling involving tomographic image analysis and finite element method
- Development of mesoscale soft material models
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a candidate with:
- Physics, chemistry, or materials science major (or another relevant field) (BSc or MSc student)
- Basic knowledge of soft condensed matter
- Familiarity with atomistic simulation methods or mechanical finite element analysis
- Familiarity with Unix-like operating systems
- Basic programming skills (Python, C/C++, etc.)
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Comfortable with both collaborative and independent work
- Eager to learn new things and develop your competences
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our ProperTune Soft Condensed Materials team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact
- Antti Paajanen, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358400547192 on work days between 9 am and 3 pm or
- Tom Andersson, email@example.com, +358407765018 on office hours.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.