VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Materials in Extreme Environments
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Materials in Extreme Environments Team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, your key goal is to participate in material science and corrosion studies. In this position, you will have an essential role in sample treatment and analysis.
Our team, Materials in Extreme Environments, solves material challenges in diverse industrial applications. You will be working in close collaboration with researchers and scientists from many different domains in material research and testing as well as microbiology.
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee include?
You will use your skills in material science and microbiology to prepare and analyse corrosion samples from research projects revealing the impact of microbes and environments on the corrosion of steel and copper. You will perform corrosion measurements, characterize the samples using microscopic and metallurgical methods in the laboratory.
Who we are looking for?
- We are seeking a person with knowledge of material science, microscopy, and practice in laboratory work.
- Experience in electrochemistry and/or microbiology/molecular biology is considered an advantage.
- You are a Master's student / young professional with an educational background in material science, metallurgy, microbiology, biotechnology, molecular biology, or in a similar field.
As a person, we hope that you...
- Have good collaboration skills, but it is also important that you are willing to work independently and can carry out your research on your own under the guidance of your supervisors.
- Are eager to learn new things.
In addition, we value your ability to critically analyse and interpret the results of your experiments. You must be able to work safely in a laboratory environment.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Materials in Extreme Environments team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Janne Pakarinen, +358 504 412 608.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.