VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Safety of intelligent machinery
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next research trainee in our safety in complex sociotechnical systems team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a research trainee, you will be working on research projects related to the development of heavy mobile machinery such as mining, material handling, and forest machines. The work focuses on safety aspects in the design and operation of intelligent machines that are electrified and increasingly autonomous. In this position, you will have the opportunity to apply and develop the newest safety and reliability engineering methods in the context of cutting-edge mobile machinery.
Our team integrates expertise in risk assessment, system safety, and organizational factors & safety culture to enhance safety and sustainability in novel technological and challenging industrial contexts, especially the nuclear industry, chemical industry, transport, maritime, healthcare, machine manufacturing, etc. We support regulators and companies by conducting safety and reliability analyses, safety culture assessments and development, and identifying risks and opportunities associated with the interaction of system components – human, organization, and technology – and the wider institutional context. Our science-based approach helps customers to ensure the safety and reliability of novel products and sustainable operations in complex sociotechnical systems.
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee include?
- Application of the newest safety and reliability analysis methods in the development of intelligent mobile machinery.
- Review of relevant international standards and regulations related to the development of autonomous machinery.
- Study and development of guidance material related to the system-theoretic STPA hazard analysis method.
Who we are looking for?
- Master’s level student in a relevant field of engineering, such as automation, mechanical engineering, or robotics.
- Knowledge and studies in safety engineering, risk management, or systems theory are considered an advantage. Interest and courses taken in organization studies are also beneficial.
- Good command of the English language as the work outcomes will be documented in English.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Eager to learn new things and develop your competences in the field of safety science and risk assessment.
- Willing to work in collaboration with research and company partners, as well as to work independently and conduct research under the guidance of your supervisors.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of safety in a complex sociotechnical systems team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Scientist Eetu Heikkilä, email@example.com, +358 40 849 5790 on 10.1.2023 at 9-11 or 12.1.2023 at 13-15.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.