VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Spatial Computing
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next research trainee in our Spatial Computing team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a research trainee, your key goal is to actively participate in all aspects of the research process. In this position, you will have an essential role in assisting the team in the project work involving e.g., data collection, pre-processing, and visualization and building proof-of-concepts using robotics platforms, VR/AR, and different kinds of imaging sensors.
Our team, Spatial Computing works on solving real-world problems in a variety of domains. We test and demonstrate new ideas and concepts and help the industry to become more productive and at the same time, increase the economic and environmental sustainability
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee include?
- Developing and testing new methods for spatial computing, machine learning, and computer vision, such as algorithms for 3D reconstruction, object tracking, and scene understanding.
- Assist other team members to solve real-world problems and collaborate with other teams to build and extend upon existing research in the field.
- Publishing research findings at academic conferences and other professional events.
- Working with industry partners to translate research findings into practical applications.
Who we are looking for?
- You have good problem-solving skills: You should be able to approach complex problems systematically and analytically, breaking them down into smaller parts and applying appropriate techniques to solve each part.
- You have strong mathematical and computational skills. Are you familiar with statistics and probability? Do you know the basics of data preprocessing, machine learning, and visualization of the results? Are you interested in computer vision algorithms, sensor fusion, robotics, and UAVs?
- You are familiar with programming languages: Research trainees in spatial computing should be proficient in at least one programming language, such as Python, C++, or C#, as well as be familiar with libraries and frameworks commonly used in spatial computing research, such as PyTorch, SciPy, Matplotlib, Pandas, OpenCV, ROS, Unity3D, PCL.
- You have good communication skills: As a research trainee, you should be able to communicate your findings and ideas effectively, both in written and oral form.
- You have good collaboration skills: Research in Spatial Computing involves working with a team of researchers and co-operation with other research teams, partners, and customers.
As a person, we hope that you are:
A curious mind who is open to new ideas, willing to ask questions and seek out answers. You should be able to work independently and be self-motivated, as well as be able to work well in a team and collaborate with others. You should also be able to communicate your findings clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing. Overall, you should have a strong work ethic and a commitment to drive a positive impact in the world.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Spatial Computing team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Tatu Harviainen, email@example.com, +358 505 498 785.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.