VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Sustainable materials design
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in our Sustainable materials design team? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a trainee, your key goals are to learn laboratory practices and support researchers in everyday work. In this position, you will have an essential role in performing material processing and characterization work in a laboratory focusing on metals and ceramics. Depending on your experiences computational tasks, analysis of the results, and reporting are included. You will participate in our unique Research Information Management System ramp-up by updating information to the system and using data mining to generate information packages.
Our team, Sustainable Materials Design is focused on powder-based materials processing. We are developing materials for emerging technologies such as Additive Manufacturing as well as solutions for higher energy efficiency.
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee include?
- You will support experimental research work performed in different laboratories.
- You will be participating in project group work planning meetings and you are responsible for performing tasks given to you in the desired schedule.
- Your main tasks are connected to work with metal and ceramic powders including their processing and characterization as well as model and component scale testing such as wear and friction testing.
Who we are looking for?
- You are MSc. student in the field of physics or material science focusing on metals and ceramics. You have already carried on basic studies and performed main courses of material science (3+ years student)
- You are willing to work both hands-on in a laboratory and participate in reporting the results in written form (both Finnish and English are needed on your work)
As a person we hope that you...
- Are open-minded and curious to learn material science in practice
- Are a team player with the capability also independent working and not hesitated to ask for help when needed
- Have experience using common tools and doing with your hands.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Sustainable Materials Design team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Tomi Lindroos, email@example.com, +358 503 020 227.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.