VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee / Thesis work, Nuclear energy
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. In recent years, we have created ground-breaking innovations such as the world's fastest and most accurate radiation detector, a cancer-sniffing sensor device for smartphones, and a headphone set entirely made of microbial materials. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to participate in the design of a Finnish nuclear district heating reactor? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
VTT is developing the LDR-50 low-temperature nuclear reactor for district heating. As part of the development team, your task is the preliminary electric design of the reactor’s control rod and instrumentation system.
The LDR-50 project was launched at VTT in 2020, to develop a safe and economical SMR for the Finnish district heating needs. The project is now shifting gears and moving forward at a faster pace.
The heating sector is a major contributor to CO2 emissions, and finding alternatives to fossil fuels is an important part of decarbonizing the energy system. In addition to the Finnish market, district heating is widely used in the Nordic and Baltic countries and Eastern Europe.
What would your responsibilities include?
- Your main responsibility is the preliminary design of the control rod and instrumentation system of the LDR-50 reactor
- The work involves finding the appropriate electric components (drive motors, electric connectors, etc.) for the systems and designing the circuitry
- The challenges are related to the operating conditions – the components are operating inside the reactor vessel, underwater at 150°C, and exposed to neutrons and radiation
- The work is carried out using design tools for electrical engineering, together with a team responsible for the neutronic and thermal-hydraulic design of the reactor
- The results of the work are reported as part of the technical design documentation, which can be written as a thesis.
Who we are looking for?
- You have the skills required for designing the control rod and instrumentation system using professional electrical engineering tools
- Prior experience in nuclear reactor technology is not required, but experience in associated fields (e.g. radiation sensors) may be considered an advantage
- Hands-on experience (hobby- or professional-level) in designing and building electronics, robotics, etc. is considered an advantage.
As a person, we hope that you are:
- Capable of independent work, but also a team player
- An innovative problem-solver, not afraid of new challenges
- Passionate about technology.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Reactor analysis team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research professor Jaakko Leppänen, Jaakko.Leppanen@vtt.fi.
We look forward to hearing from you!
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.