VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee / Thesis Worker in Quantum Technologies
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning, and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. With 30 years of experience in quantum technologies, VTT researchers just launched the first Finnish 5-qubit Quantum Computer Helmi with plans for a 20-qubit upgrade in 2023 and a 50-qubit in 2024. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee or Thesis Worker in our Quantum Technology teams? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
Our Quantum technology teams work on applied sciences and commercial-related projects to develop new ground-breaking technologies in the field of low-temperature physics, micro and nanofabrication of superconducting devices, and measurement technology. You will have the opportunity to work in the largest micro and nanofabrication facility in Northern Europe, at Micronova in Otaniemi in addition to world-class cryogenic measurement laboratories. Here, you get full support from your colleagues in your daily work, and you would have many different projects to choose from and explore your interests.
As a Research Trainee, your key goals are to support more senior researchers in their scientific or technical investigations. In this position, you will have an essential role in learning individual processes and bringing them to fruition in short-term research tasks.
As a Thesis Worker, your key goals are to form a more thorough understanding of a practical research subject and formalize it within the scope of your academic degree requirements. In this position, you will have an essential role in participating in medium-term research tasks, in close collaboration with a supervisor and other research team members.
Who we are looking for?
To succeed in the position, you have the following background and skills:
- You are a Bachelor's or Master’s level student in the field of physics, applied physics, electrical engineering, and/or a related field
- Eagerness for hands-on work in a laboratory environment
- Basic knowledge of electronics and/or programming
- You have good social skills as the work will be done as a part of a project team
We will tailor the exact content based on your background and interests. Depending on it, the practical work may include for example electrical characterization down to millikelvin temperatures, physical characterization using tools such as EDX or FIB, cleanroom processing, or numerical modelling.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive a positive impact in the world. You have good analytical and problem-solving skills with a passion for technology and research work. You are strong in reporting and disseminating your work, both in written and oral English.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Quantum Technology team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Research Team Leader Joonas Govenius, email@example.com, +358 401 898 624.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Tietotie 3, Espoo
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.