VTT Summer of Changemakers: Research Trainee, Unmanned Aviation
Do you want to start changing the world for the better next summer? Are you all about science and technology? Would you like to develop your skills and use them to tackle the greatest challenges of our time? VTT might be just the place for you. Apply now for VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 traineeships. Together, we can turn these challenges into a hopeful future.
VTT is one of the leading applied research organisations in Europe. What unites us are curiosity, a passion for learning and a purpose: to solve the biggest challenges of our time and turn them into sustainable growth and well-being. Our cross-disciplinary community of over 2100 brilliant minds from 50 different nationalities is focused on creating impact through science-based innovation. Now, we are looking for passionate changemakers – you – to join us as summer trainees.
Do you want to be our next Research Trainee in unmanned aviation? Join us - and let’s make science work for hope next summer!
As a Research Trainee, your key goals are in supporting unmanned aviation R&D in large national and international projects and working in close collaboration with relevant partners. In this position, you will have a role in drone-related work on the level of your choice.
We currently have a unique offering and a world-class project portfolio on system-level visionary research, development, and innovation (RDI) concerning the many facets of the exceptionally fast-developing area of unmanned aviation. Our RDI activities include regulatory development in Europe, unmanned aviation traffic management (UTM) systems, drone technology elements, propulsion systems, and the aircrafts themselves – just to name a few. We are focusing on supporting the roll-out of large-scale professional operations with unmanned electric aviation, together with the needed backend systems and services that facilitate such operations.
What would your responsibilities as a Research Trainee include?
- Contributing to applied research, development, and innovation projects
- Taking a role in project implementation in unmanned aviation
- Participation in national and international projects and assignments on autonomous aviation systems and flight operations.
Who we are looking for?
- You are studying a Master of Science in transport, logistics, ICT, civil engineering, avionics, aircraft technology, human factors, or a related field connected closely to unmanned aviation
- You have a keen interest in unmanned aviation
- You have an interest in developing our research agenda and customer offering
- You have the ability for project work and its management
- You have good competence in providing written reports and motivation for writing
- You have good oral and written skills in the English language. Knowledge of additional languages, especially Finnish, is an asset.
We are particularly looking for a team player with good interaction and communication skills to participate in our research activities in future aviation.
You will also benefit from the following, even though these are not compulsory:
- Holding EASA UA pilot certifications
- Basic knowledge of telecom, sensors, autonomous systems, robotic systems, remote control systems, AI, VR, AR, and 3D models
- Knowledge of drone-related software development with, for example, MAVLink, Ardupilot, or PX4
- Basic understanding of research work.
As a person, we hope that you have:
- Excellent interaction, presentation, and communication skills and you enjoy using them in both internal and external relations
- Willingness and ability to participate in a wide array of international research activities.
The ideal VTT Changemaker is a curious mind, who is eager to develop and take on new challenges. We appreciate ambition and willingness to learn over having all the answers or skills ready when you start. You are also a team player with strong collaboration skills who wants to drive positive impact in the world.
What would we offer you?
- Impactful work for the future. As a leading applied research organisation, we are on a mission to bring exponential hope to the world by joining together people, businesses, science and technology. We tackle the biggest challenges of our time – from climate change and resource sufficiency to industrial renewal and smart healthcare – and turn them into sustainable growth. Read more about our strategy – the path of exponential hope.
- Career opportunities, top-level mentors. At VTT, your skills are appreciated and supported with the opportunity to learn from the top experts in their field. You’ll get to discover our community of over 2100 experts representing more than 50 nationalities working across cutting-edge fields of science and technology.
- Meaningful projects, real responsibility. With us, you get to take on meaningful projects and create innovative scientific and technical solutions as part of our Autonomous systems connectivity team. We treat all employees as equals and give you real responsibility from the start. VTT is a caring employer that supports your growth and work–life balance and offers a range of well-being services.
What is like to work with us solving the biggest challenges of our time? Check from the video what kind of experiences Aymara, Daniil, Eric and Isabella had from their summer traineeships and what kind of change did they drive.
Apply now and join our community of brilliant minds!
Come, curious minds and clever changemakers! Prepare your CV and cover letter, and send in your application with your transcript of records via our recruitment system as soon as possible but at the latest by 5 February 2023. Let’s change the world for the better next summer.
All VTT Summer of Changemakers traineeships are paid and the duration is usually between 3 and 6 months. The exact starting date and length of the traineeship can be discussed. We will process applications as they come in, and fill in the position as soon as we find the right candidate.
Please read more of VTT Summer of Changemakers from here: https://www.vttresearch.com/en/summer-changemakers
Interested and want to hear more?
For further information, please contact Petri Mononen, firstname.lastname@example.org, +358 405 155 808.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Location: Oulu or Espoo (Otaniemi)
VTT is one of Europe's leading research organisations, a visionary innovation partner for businesses and society. We bring hope to the world by turning the greatest challenges of our time into sustainable growth with cutting-edge science and technology. We employ a community of over 2100 world-class problem-solvers across fields of science and business. You can familialise yourself with VTT's research infra from here.
VTT – beyond the obvious
Currently, we have over 40 truly meaningful and versatile traineeship positions open! See other summer trainee position from VTT Summer of Changemakers 2023 pages.